Saturday, April 9, 2011

Long Time No Write

No matter how much you prepare somethings still hit hard. In November we lost my sweet little poodle. She had lived with cancer for most of her life and she lived very well. Lived on her own terms. What more could we ask for? Any of us. I eulogized Beau, my sweet little donkey and even my bothers cat of many years. But losing Misti just kind of took my words away. In the aftermath of losing her I decided that I had Priscilla and we still had the ornery rat terrier, Millie. I did not need any more animals. But rather in honor of Misti I decided to go to the local animal shelter and walk through and take pictures to post online. Raising the chances of the shelters animals to find a home. As Christmas approached I knew there was a little dog that had some health issue and she was at the shelter and nobody was looking long at her. The shelter supervisor said that they all seemed to see a bigger health problem. She could not walk well. I thought if she was not adopted before Christmas holiday I would take her home with me and work on her while she stayed at the farm. When I went to get her I also brought home a injured dog that had not been at the shelter long and they did not want to leave him over the holiday. Now, keep in mind, they have people there to feed and clean everyday but these animals needed more care so I was just fostering them over the holiday time when the shelter was closed to the public. The little dog that did not walk so well was in awful shape by the second day I had her. My vet agreed to see her on the morning of Christmas Eve. She had pneumonia in both lungs. I battled for several weeks to save her and at the end of it all she was definitely staying with me. The other dog was a really neat guy and just so very sweet. He was paralyzed in the back legs and would drag himself everywhere he went. While the shelter was closed many rescues were working on finding him help and a home. By New Years he was headed to Colorado where a family lives that had experience with crippled dogs. He is doing so well now. The shelter called him Superman. His new mom calls him Elmo. He is walking some now. It was so amazing and rewarding to see people step up and find him a very good place. Since then I have been a very minor player in the world of animal rescue. One dog at a time. But I am in the loop and see how some wonderful people work together to move animals long distances to find forever homes. And it happens everyday. I will write more often now. There is so much to say. Springtime on the farm is a very active time. Oh, yes, the little dog I fought to save that lives with us and is Priscilla's best friend...the one that looks at me like I am the hero that saved her. That would be Sophie.

No comments:

Post a Comment